More often everyone shutdown there computer simply by clicking on Power button but few people use a command prompt to shut down their computer. cmd provides lot more feature along with shut down option. Some of these are Restart, Log Off, Set a display message if exceeds time limit and lot more. Here we are going to discuss some of these options that how to perform them using the command prompt.
You can perform this on Windows 7/8/10.
How to Shutdown Computer using cmd
- Open the command prompt by typing windows key+ R (write cmd and press enter).
- Enter the below command and then press Enter key.
How to Restart PC using command prompt
- Again open cmd as done above. Enter the below command and press Enter key. This will restart your computer.
Logging Off current user by cmd
- In the command prompt, enter the below command to log off the current user.
Display text message before Shut down PC
- To show a display message as a reason to shut down your computer enter below command. This often we require when some other work or restricted time limit is there. You can write any message inside the quotation. Here 100 is time (in seconds).
shutdown /s /t 100 /c "Need to go out"
Shut down Remote PC
For this, you must have administrative access to that PC that you want to shut down. If you don’t have administrative access then you can not be able to access that PC from your PC. Type the below command and press enter. Replace target PC name here with your target PC name.
shutdown /s /m \\ target PC name here
Shut down your PC without any warning or notification
If you want to shut down your computer without any prior warning, enter below command and press enter.
Hibernate your Local Computer
To hibernate your own PC enter the below command and press enter
powercfg.exe /hibernate on
If you need more functions regarding above you can check more commands in the screenshot below
You may also like
- How to know wifi network password using cmd
- 4 ways to increase internet speed using cmd
- How to find Windows administrator password